playing bass at 12
- Surfing career interrupted due to too much practicing
- Began playing upright after hearing Chick Corea’s LIGHT
AS A FEATHER.
- Began playing fretless at 14 after running over fretted bass
- Heard Jaco and Stanley and began practicing 12 hours per day.
- Got full scholarship to North Texas State Univ. Played lots of Upright.
- Got full scholarship to Univ. of Miami. Played lots of electric.
Lots of gigs(see below).
- Surfed a lot.
- Joined Paquito D’Rivera’s band and moved to NY. Saw
the world. Did not Surf Then.
- Joined Dizzy Gillespie’s band in 1983. Saw more of the world
and surfed a bit. And Played Lots of gigs. (see below)
- Moved to Los Angeles In 1985. Surfed too Much and Played LOTS AND
LOTS of gigs. (see below)
BASS EXTREMES with Victor Wooten in 1993
and/or toured with…
- Beboppers such as Dizzy, James Moody, Lew Tabackin, Dave Leibman……etc
- Latin Jazzers such as Paquito. Claudio Roditti, Michel Camilo……
Jazzers such as the Rippingtons, David Benoit, Kilauea…..etc
- Rockers such as Jethro Tull, Skynyrd, Jon Anderson (YES)…etc
- Country guys such as Willie Nelson, Ray Price, Billy Joe Shaver….etc
- Fusioners such as Larry Carlton, Emily Remler, Brandon Fields….etc
agers such as Kitaro, Max Highstein, T Lavitz…..etc
- Bluesers such as Tab Benoit, Johnny Witherspoon, Toni Price….etc
- Jazz singers such as Mel Torme, Ernestine Anderson, Mark Murphy…etc
- Fellow Bassists such as Victor Wooten, John Patitucci, Billy Sheehan…etc
I am Proud of….
BASS PLAYER OF THE YEAR runnerup 1994 and 1996….2 solo cd’s
DICHOTOMY and EVOLUTION……new Bass Extremes cd JUST ADD
WATER…..I can play a 13th chord in tune on a 6 string fretless
bass..Won the last two surfing contests and Tennis tournaments that
I entered…. I choose to live in Myrtle Beach SC!
Faculty at Bass Institute of Technology 10 years…Artist In-Residence
@ Coastal Carolina University....Advisory board and columnist for
Bass Player Mag…Faculty
for NGSW… Solo
Bassist and clinician worlwide…Books include Steve Bailey
Bass Series, …cont.. Bass Extremes :the book.. Videos include
Advanced Bassix, Fretless Bass, The Day Bass Players Took over
the World, and BASS EXTREMES.
Warwick, BassLines p-ups, D’addario Strings
New Solo project called… SO LOW…..Texas rock
band TITTY BINGO…. Bass Extremes….Building a Beach house
and a tree house….. and clinician worldwide…Books include
Steve Bailey Bass Series, Bass Extremes :the book. Videos include
Advanced Bassix and clinician worldwide…